Australian Brenton Harrison Tarrant, 28, a suspected white supremacist, was charged with murder on Saturday after 49 people were killed as well as dozens wounded in massshootings at two fresh Zealand mosques.

Tarrant, handcuffed as well as wearing a white prison suit, stood silently from the Christchurch District Court where he was remanded without a plea. He is usually due back in court on April 5 as well as police said he was likely to face further charges.

Friday’s attack, which Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern labelled as terrorism, was the worst ever peacetime mass killing in fresh Zealand as well as the country had raised its security threat level to the highest.

Tarrant has been described as a suspected white supremacist, based on his social media activity.

Footage of the attack on one of the mosques was broadcast live on Facebook, as well as a “manifesto” denouncing immigrants as “invaders” was also posted online via links to related social media accounts.

The video showed a man driving to the Al Noor mosque, entering of which as well as shooting randomly at people that has a semi-automatic rifle with high-capacity magazines. Worshippers, possibly dead or wounded, lay on the floor, the video showed.

At one stage the shooter returns to his car, alterations weapons, re-enters the mosque as well as again begins shooting. The camera attached to his head recording the massacre follows the barrel of his weapon, like some macabre video game.

Forty-one people were killed at the Al Noor mosque.

Police said the alleged shooter took seven minutes to travel to the second mosque from the suburb of Linwood, where seven people were killed. No images have emerged by the second mosque.

Tarrant was arrested in a car, which police said was carrying improvised explosive devices, 36 minutes after they were first called.

“The offender was mobile, there were two different firearms from the vehicle of which the offender was in, as well as of which absolutely was his intention to continue with his attack,” Ardern told reporters in Christchurch on Saturday.

Ardern’s office said the suspect had sent the “manifesto” in a bulk email of which included a generic address for the Prime Minister, the opposition leader, speaker of the parliament as well as around 70 media outlets a matter of minutes before the attack.

A spokesman said the email didn’t describe the specific incident as well as there was “nothing from the content or timing of which would likely have been able to prevent the attack.”

The staff member monitoring the accounts sent of which to parliamentary services as soon as they saw of which, who sent of which to police, the spokesman said.

The visiting Bangladesh cricket team was arriving for prayers at one of the mosques when the shooting started off nevertheless all members were safe, a team coach told Reuters.

Two different people were in custody as well as police said they were seeking to understand whether they were involved in any way.

None of those arrested had a criminal history or were on watchlists in fresh Zealand or Australia.